Frequently Asked Questions



Q: I went over the skills station I failed and don’t know what I did wrong. What do I do?
A: We are unable to provide copies of the checklists. Meet with your instructor and practice the entire station before attempting to retest.

Q: How long will it take to grade the written test?
A: The written examination is graded by the National Registry office and it usually takes from 3-5 weeks.

Q: I received my results from the National Registry. It didn’t include a list of test dates.
A: A list of test dates along with other information on testing will be sent out from the board office within 2-3 days after you receive your results from the National Registry. You may also search the Board of EMS Licensing Portal for upcoming Test dates.

Q: I passed the exam. Do I need to submit another application to be certified in Kansas?
A: If you passed, you will automatically receive a Kansas card and certificate. You do not need to submit additional paperwork.

Q: I sent my application and money but haven’t heard if I’m scheduled to test. What do I do?
A: Contact Sponsoring Organization for the Examination Site


Q:    How many hours do I need to Renew?
A:    PARAMEDIC: 60,
EMT: 28,
AEMT: 44,
EMR: 16

Q:    Did I need to get my hours in both 2023 and 2024 or can I use hours that I got all in one year?
A:    You could get them all in one year if you choose.

Q:    Can I find the renewal form on-line?
A:    Yes, it is only available through the KBEMS licensing portal.

Q:    Will I be able to get my card before it expires?
A:    If you submit your renewal application on-line in by December 1st, and have completed all required Continuing Education.

Q:    How long does it take to get my card?
A:    You may print your own card from the KBEMS licensing portal as soon as your application for renewal is approved (typically a few days). If you request, we will print and send one to you. However, it may take between 2 and 3 weeks. If you want your card by December 31st you must request it by December 1st.

Q:    Can any of the renewal process be done by fax?
A:    No, regulation 109-6-2 reads: All applications for certification renewal shall be submitted on the original form provided by the administrator. Copies, facsimiles, and other reproductions shall not be accepted. However, you may complete your application on-line through the KBEMS licensing portal.

Q:    How do I become Kansas certified if I’m from out of state?
A:   Create an account on the KBEMS licensing portal and complete the online “Application for Recognition of non-Kansas Credentials”.

Q:    How do I find out how to become Nationally Registered?
A:    Contact the National Registry, PO Box 29233, Columbus, OH, 43229 or call (614) 888-4484.

Q:    My certification expired what do I do?
If your certification has been expired for more than two years (excluding paramedics) you will need to take the entire course for EMR, EMT, or AEMT.  If less than two years Claim your account on the KBEMS licensing portal and complete the Reinstatement Application for Expired Provider Certification.

Q:    Can I pay for more than one person with one check?
A:    Yes.


Below are the costs of certification renewal and transaction fees:

Provider Type Renewal fee on or before Dec. 31 Late renewal fee













If you have additional questions contact the board office at 785-296-7296 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.


Q: How do I find out where continuing education classes or initial courses of instruction are being held?
A: There are a variety of resources available to you to find out this information.
You may search for classes using the KBEMS licensing portal. Additionally, the EMS Regional offices and the EMS Chronicle are excellent resources for this information.

Q: Can I get Kansas continuing education credit for completing correspondence type training such as that provided on the internet or in the JEMS magazine?
A: Correspondence type training applicable to EMS values, practice, skills and knowledge is acceptable toward meeting Kansas EMS certification renewal requirements. All acceptable correspondence continuing education must be approved by the Committee on Accreditation of Prehospital Continuing Education (CAPCE). If the certificate of completion does not state that the offering is approved by CAPCE, then it is not acceptable for Kansas certification renewal.