Military and Low Income Applicants

A new two year study to provide a grant incentive to Military and Low Income applicants will be effective from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2020. This incentive is designed to assist in gaining certification by defraying costs for examination and/or application fees. Funding will be provided from EIG funds that were expended and have been collected from those that failed to meet the current grant requirements. The two separate incentives are detailed as follows:

Military – Military members separating from service as well as active military members’ spouses and dependents may request to receive assistance for the fees associated with application for certification. The grant would provide 75% of the application fee if the applicant currently resides in Kansas or the active military member can provide orders demonstrating relocation to Kansas and 100% of the application fee if the individual has a conditional offer of employment from a Kansas entity that provides EMS response (where the condition is gaining Kansas certification). The 75% eligibility would be $11.25 for EMR, $37.50 for EMT and AEMT, and $48.75 for Paramedic.

Low Income Incentive – Individuals that meet the low-income requirements (below) may request to receive assistance for the fees of a first attempt at cognitive certification examination and the application fee. The individual will be required to cover 20% of those costs with the grant covering the remaining 80%. The maximum combined cost is as follows:

The maximum combined cost is as follows:

Attendant Type Application NREMT
EMR

$15.00

$75.00

EMT

$50.00

$80.00

AEMT

$50.00

$115.00

Paramedic

$65.00

$125.00

 

You meet the low-income requirements if you receive any of the following:
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Federal Public Housing Assistance (FHPA), Veterans Pension & Survivors Pension Benefit, Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Head Start Tribal Programs (only those meeting its income qualifying standard), the Food Distribution Program on Tribal Lands, or 135% of the federal poverty level*. An applicant must provide THREE CONSECUTIVE MONTHS of statements as documentation of income from within the last 8 months, or provide a copy of their tax return for the previous year.

*2018 Kansas Poverty Level Guidelines including increase to 135%

Number In Household Maximum Annual Income
1 $16,389
2 $22,221
3 $28,053
4 $33,885
5 $39,717
6 $45,549
7 $51,381
8 $57,213
each additional person $ 5,832

The grant eligibility limit is at or below 135% of the 2018 federal poverty level.