How to renew certification for military personnel

September 14, 2009

Statute 48-3403 allows military service personnel who are required by law to obtain continuing education as a condition to renew.

Your certification expiration date must be current at the time of entering the military service.

Step 1.             Go to our website and on the drop-down menu, click on Tools  then Forms and under Certification, open the Military Reinstatement Form form.

Step 2.             Military service personnel are exempt from continuing education requirements until completion of the next full licensure period.

Step 3.             Within six months after release from military service, but not later than two weeks after engaging in or practicing in emergency medical services (EMS) in Kansas, the renewal fee and application must be submitted.  You will not be charged any late fees or penalties.

Step 4.             The Military service personnel send the Military Reinstatement Form with a copy of your orders activating and releasing you or a copy of your DD214 to:

Kansas Board of EMS

900 SW Jackson, Suite 1031

Topeka, KS  66612

Attention: Chrystine Hannon

Step 5.              Make the check or money order payable to:

Kansas Board of EMS, and Mail to the address in Step 4.

The fees are as listed:

First Responder – $20

EMT, EMT-I, EMT-D, EMT-I/D – $30

MICT –  $50

Step 6.             You will receive your new card in the mail with a letter giving you the time frame for mailing in your continuing education certificates. 

If you have questions, email