How to gain Kansas certification from a military course

September 14, 2009

Applicants who have taken a course outside of Kansas must have successfully completed a USDOT National Standard Curriculum course of instruction to qualify for Kansas certification.

Step 1.            The course will be reviewed for equivalence to the Kansas enrichments and must be 90% equivalent.

Step 2.            Open the form Recognition of Non-Kansas Credentials.


Step 3.            Fill out Part I (of the form). Obtain a copy of your national registry or state card if you have one.

If you are certified in another state, Fill out the top part of Page 8 (Verification of Certification Status) and fax or mail to that state. They will in turn send it to our office.

Step 4.           If you are not seeking a “Temporary Certification”, please move to Step 6.

Step 5.            If seeking a temporary certification, mark “yes” to the question relating to temporary certification, at the bottom of page 2 of the form  and also have page 3 completed.

 The temporary certification will allow the Applicant to work for up to one year under the out of state card while you are obtaining permanent Kansas certification.

Step 6.            Fill out and send Part II of the form to the Instructor or Official that is representing the Initial Course program to verify successful completion.

For the MICT level you will need the medical director’s signature as  well.


If you took your course through the military, below are the Military Liaisons where you may mail part II:


1.  Air Force:                       Msgt. Jeffrey Cahill, EMS Program Manager


Sheppard AFB, TX  76311-2266


2.   Army:                           Mr. Ishmael Diaz


2405 Reynold Rd., Bldg. 2266

Ft. Sam Houston, TX  78234


3.  Coast Guard:              HS1 Andre Carson

2100 2nd Street, SVV-JR-0331

Washington DC  20024


4.  Navy:                           HM1 Jay Baum

Navy EMT Program Mgr/SEAT Liaison


8901 Wisconsin Avenue

Bethesda, MD  20889-5611


5.  National Parks:          Dean Ross

National Park Service

Branch Chief of Emergency Services

1201 I Street, 10th Floor

Washington DC  20005


Step 7.          Upon completion, the Initial Program or Military Liaison should forward the completed Part II to you.

Step 8.          Pay the fee as listed below, made payable to the Board of EMS:  

First Responder:  $20

EMT:  $50

MICT:  $65

Step 9.          Send Part I, Part II, a copy of your certification card (if you have one), and the fee to:


Kansas Board of EMS
900 SW Jackson, Suite 1031
Topeka, KS  66612
Attention: Chrystine Hannon

Step 10.        Once the equivalency is determined,  we will notify you if you have met the requirements.

                         If you are an EMT-I or do not possess a state or national registry card, you will receive testing materials. Once the test is taken:

     If you pass, you will receive results with Kansas certification.

     If you fail, you will be notified and need  to apply for practical retest exam.


If you have questions email